by Martin Hall,
ACTEC Foundation President
As my tenure as President of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) Foundation comes to a close, I welcome this opportunity to offer my sincere thanks to all of the supporters of the Foundation and to my fellow directors. Your generosity, dedication and hard work have sustained and will advance the mission of the ACTEC Foundation to promote scholarship and foster education in trust, estate and tax law. In our most recent fiscal year, the Foundation has supported many activities, including the following:
- It has funded the production of the first two videos in the ACTEC Family Estate Planning Guide and has agreed to fund further episodes in the series.
- When ACTEC welcomed the second class of ACTEC Young Leaders in September 2016, the Foundation in turn continued its support of the program and also hosted a Young Leaders reception last fall in Boston.
- The Foundation’s Mary Moers Wenig Student Writing Competition continues to attract thoughtful papers. This year’s first place winner – A Nominal Credit: Why Donor Recognition Should Not Limit the Deductibility of Section 170 Charitable Contributions – was submitted by Benjamin Joseph Imdieke of the University of Michigan Law School.
- The Foundation has underwritten ACTEC’s next Academic Symposium – “Wealth Transfer Law in Comparative and International Perspective” – to be held on September 8, 2017, at the University of Iowa.
- The Foundation continues to provide support to the ACTEC Law Journal Student Editorial Board at Hofstra University, and publishes the work-product of the College, including the Fifth Edition of the Commentaries.
- Thanks to an ACTEC Foundation grant, ACTEC Fellows receive complimentary access to the Wills, Trusts, and Estates Law eJournal within the SSRN (Social Science Research Network).
Please drop by the ACTEC Foundation booth located near the Registration Desk if you are attending the Annual Meeting. Foundation Directors will be on hand to answer your questions and explain more fully our valuable work.
And please come by on March 9 at 6:30 p.m. to the Silent Auction reception with your check book or credit card in hand. There are many wonderful lots to be bid on and critical support to be provided for our future activities!
Thank you again for your support and commitment to the ACTEC Foundation.